Silly Point

If you came here in search of "Lazy Workday", the SNL/Narnia parody, click here

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

What's in a name?

First posts are just like any other firsts. Its stepping into unfamiliar territory, going into the unknown, or to quote Captain Kirk, "To boldly go where no man has gone before!" (I quote a lot for some reason, so get used to it.) I suppose I am a little late to join this bandwagon.

This isn't my first attempt at starting to blog. I had tried a few years previously and now I remember why I stopped even before posting my first post. It was so hard to think of a name for the blog! Writing content is not a problem for me. Once I start writing, thoughts keep on flowing in my head in a gentle stream of coherent words and it somehow transports to the screen without going any processing in my head. I don't even read what I write so a lot of times I don't even know what I have said. I apologize in advance for the mess you have to endure. Anyway to get back on track, I couldn't think of a name.

Then yesterday, a friend of mine asked me to think of a name for her blog. That blog can be found at http://kalula.blogspot.com/ Had to put on my creativity hat for that, realized I didn't have one so had to resort to a makeshift one and it had residual side effects that has resulted in this blog. It was so hard to think of a name though. Wasted my whole day on it! Asked many people for their views on it. Had some good suggestions too. "Monilog" was one of them, a play on Monologue, blog and my first name. There were also "Blogical Error" and "I think, therefore I blog" but I will stick with Silly point until the popular opinion changes (read: post in comments). I intend to write some cricket blogs too, its an intriguing niche market and could prove profitable down the line, but I could never stick to just one discipline.

Then there was the other matter of my own name. For some years now, I have been going around the Internet under the alias of MCMLXXXII. What amazed me most about it was the ignorance people have of that term. I have been accused of everything from explicit language (some word filters don't like the XXX in my name) to being Greek! Most people find that name unpronounceable for humans and resort to abbreviations such as MCM which is what people call me on most forums. Read my profile for more info on my name.

I am new to this blog stuff, don't know how long is too long. Everything I write seems to drag on too long. Maybe I should just be concise next time onwards. And please don't judge me based on my first post, I just wrote this so I could see that my page was up and running. This post is like the Acknowledgements and other such sections you find in a book before the first chapter. But I suppose none of you got that, who reads books these days? They either wait for the movie to come out or would rather just sit home and surf the net, writing blogs!

4 Comments:

  • To blog or not to blog. How shall I proceed? Well, let me begin here where all things begin, right here at the beginning. What can I say to this blog, I've known this fellow for sometime and I can guarantee that there will be many subjects of all nature, stature, interest and range. You can certainly count on an interesting and long blog. To truly appreciate the blogs posted you have to read and make sure you do so you don't miss anything. There is more written than you can possibly imagine; don't just read between the lines but between the words up and down, left and right, straight forward and reverse, inwardly and outwardly.

    That being all said and done what shall be the first subject. Wait its already been mentioned. mcmlxxxii. I would hope that all you other bloggers out there have gone to school, been hooked on phonics and know at least some of you know a little Greek. In case you haven't already guessed it its just one short of mcmlxxxi. That should be hint enough. How can one be identified, should the person choose the name that they keep. Should the person get to choose at all. Well our parents choose our names for us and all we have to do is live with them. Not knowing all your names I hope you live up to the name given to you with pride, dignity, strength and a bit of righteousness. Sometimes we are given pseudo-names by our friends, hopefully they will have the sense to give us names that we can accept with courage. I say courage because it might be called from across the room and hopefully its not "dumba$$".

    Your name is what you have, it is your idenity, it is how you are known, it should define you. So in finality of this, my, ridculous first comment to this blog... take your name stand up and stand firm.

    Signing out with my pseudo-name.

    Defender.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/03/2006 9:08 PM  

  • Get your own blog!

    By Blogger MCMLXXXII, at 5/03/2006 10:33 PM  

  • Your so predictable. Before you get defensive,its not necessarily a bad thing.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/03/2006 10:48 PM  

  • I really like the name you came up with for my log--Vital Blogistics. I think it's a keeper. But you should go with Monilog for yours, as I suggested. And make sure your tag line is: The only bacon in my life is Francis Bacon. That's priceless!

    By Blogger Karolina, at 5/04/2006 12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home