Silly Point

If you came here in search of "Lazy Workday", the SNL/Narnia parody, click here

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Passing the Test!

Everyone who has ever been to school would know the joy that people feel when they pass a test which they expected to fail. This is one such story.

It was 5:25 PM, and I left work in a hurry. I had discovered that the testing facility would be open till 7 PM that day, and I wanted to get there in time for the test to complete. I knew that I was ill prepared for it, there were a few things I was sure would never pass, and still others I had doubts over. But nevertheless I decided to go, more or less just to see what things needed to be worked on and have an idea where I stand.

So I drove home, it was necessary that I take the old Chevy Lumina there. I don't really like driving the Lumina anymore. Part of it is because of the driving experience, I find the steering wheel too big, and the car makes much wider turns then the nifty RX8. Its kind of like what a normal person would feel like walking around in a obese body suit. You have to be more careful how you walk, and don't bump into things accidently. The RX8 is just more fun to drive.

The other reason why I don't like driving the Lumina, or any other car as a matter of fact, is because of the look people give me when I drive the RX8. People love looking at it, and for a change, those nice joggers around the lake, are checking me out, instead of the other way round, (well, if not me, then my car certainly). Every where I go, people ask me what car this is. Yesterday, I was turning at an intersection when a couple of girls standing on the corner screamed out, "I like your car!" On Saturday, when we were stuck in traffic at the Lincoln Tunnel for nearly an hour, people were looking at us, some with admiration, others with envy. But these things certainly enhance the driving experience, and its easy to notice the lack of attention you get for driving any other car. Hopefully someday I will drive around in a Ferrari.

Anyway, back to the story, I took the Lumina to the testing facility. I was more nervous then I should have been, afterall, I wasn't the one taking this test. We arrived at the vehicle inspection station and stood in line for a few minutes, then I got out of my car, and watched from a distance as the inspector did his job. I was certain the tyres did not have enough tread on it and I would fail the safety inspection. I also thought that I could fail the suspensions test, I had always believed that the noise I heard while driving was because of the suspensions. And finally, the emissions test. I was very apprehensive about it, the car is more than 11 years old now, and I keep on getting this "Service Engine Soon" light from time to time. I thought it would certainly fail the emissions test.

As the inspector did the final things I was overjoyed to see that he started removing the old inspection sticker, this could only mean that I passed. It could only be by a miracle. I had never been so happy when I had passed any exams I had taken myself! It is always the little things, the most unexpected, that bring the most joy to life.

5 Comments:

  • Finally, you wrote a blog! and tire is spelled with an i, not a y :P

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/16/2006 8:15 PM  

  • Tyre is the British spelling, which I still sometimes favour over its American equivalents.

    By Blogger MCMLXXXII, at 8/16/2006 8:17 PM  

  • Then you should stick to one or the other.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/16/2006 8:46 PM  

  • you wish it was the you they were looking at, but it's really the car, but i get looks all the time when im in the Lumina, and I'm not talking about the disgusted ones either...

    By Blogger Tabish Talib, at 8/17/2006 9:03 PM  

  • I think I know why you want to drive in a Ferrari. So you can pick up Barbies.

    By Blogger Karolina, at 8/20/2006 1:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home